Overview
This project has really allowed me to explore and expand my knowledge and skills when it comes to camera tracking. I decided to keep the product fairly simple in order to focus on technical skills. Although there are so many improvements that I would have liked to make to the final video, I am fairly happy with the outcome of the project.
Workflow/New Software
As I have mentioned in the other tasks on this project, i feel that my project workflow is starting to form a good structure. On this project, because it was based around match-moving, I had to adapt the workflow to accommodation this process. All three match-movers /camera solvers I tried work best with image sequences rather than a movie file. So after the rough edit stage, I converted the shots into .iff files as they work well with Maya.
My original intention was to use Match-mover, however, having been unable to get good results I started exploring other packages. Nukex gave a good track, however, its export system didn't really work. I found that Boujou gave a good track and was able to work with the footage that Match-mover was unable to solve. Unfortunately by this point I had already re-planned my idea to work in better filming conditions due to the problems faced with match move. I feel that despite needing a lot more practice to get the art of match-moving, the results I have achieved were good for a few weeks of tracking practice.
Product
Based on the time restrictions and the steep learning curve that match-moving is; I am very happy with the tracks I have achieved. I had originally planned to use Mayas physics to make the domino effect, however, for some reason the computer I was working on kept crashing when I tried to do physics simulations, so I had to animate the domino chain using key-frame animation . While this was time consuming, it was not as time consuming as trying to find a new computer and re-setting up the project.
I changed my plan from a large scale exterior shot, to an interior shot to try and get a better track in match-mover. On moving to Boujou, I had decided that I would continue wiith the new sequences as I had made the most progress with that sequence. While the lighting of the 3D work is not idea and some more tweaking could be done in the composition stage to make the dominos fit better, I feel that the porduct has been successful in teaching me the basics of match-moving to expand upon in future projects.
Conclusion
Overall, I feel that this project has been successful. While the results have not been perfect, I feel the skills that I have learnt will allow me to develop with more practice. I've particularly enjoyed comparing the different match-mov softwares out there.
No comments:
Post a Comment